Saturday 19 June 2010

Simple curiosities

I recently discovered the illustrator Ros Shiers. Her subject matter varies from curious finds, to stories of her experiences and patterns inspired by the natural world. This Alice print (£39, ros-shiers.com) particularly caught my eye:



The charm is in the eye-strainingly intricate detail, which means every time you look at her work you see something new. The regular, linear arrangement of the items in the space, and the pure simplicity of black lines on white set off the quaint vintage-edge, giving a modern, minimalist feel. These monogrammed mugs (Anthropologie, £6 each) are equally covetable; black patterns on crisp white, yet dainty china.


And I couldn’t resist this lace cake stand (www.roostliving.com, £92), for the same reasons...The design plays with our expectations. It’s clean and simple, yet wonderfully wonky.


Finally I just had to show you these - Salt and pepper shakers with TV heads?! (www.roostliving.com, £38) Bizarre yet strangely elegant and a bit cheeky. I can just imagine them performing a secret dance across the dinner table when no-one’s looking...OK, maybe that’s just me!